The question I keep seeing on facebook/receiving from people is "How was 2010 for you? Was it a good year? Was it a bad year?" I don't know if I can simply label a whole 365 days worth of time, a whole 8760 hours, 525, 600 minutes, or 31,536,000 seconds worth of time into either a category labeled "good" or "bad." That's too generic, simplistic, and downright lame. It was a year of change, a transitional year. It had it's amazing moments, it had it's devastating moments, but all in all, a year of growth, learning, and expansion. So, yes it was a good year, and yes, it was a bad year, but most of all, I lived through the year. I didn't merely exist; I lived. I took what life had to offer, made the best of it, and continued to still delve deeper into my self and my heart to continue down my journey of life, and what a journey it has been so far.
New Year's Eve: the evening of worldwide drunken debauchery, celebration, and Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve (let's be real; we all watch it). One of the biggest quandaries that arises for people come December, is what the New Year's Eve plans will be. Should you go to a fancy club and get bottle service while dressed ridiculously swanky? Should you have a game night with some close friends? Should you get tickets to the hottest event in town? My plans for this year: to a. grab a pizza. b. watch movies. c. watch the ball drop. d. enjoy my Sam Adams Winter Lager. e. go to sleep. I did all of this...with a few added bulletpoints. I just wanted to start the year off happy and smiling...and I did. However, the course of events was a bit different than I had planned. The interesting thing: I was excited to celebrate the New Year by myself; everyone else felt bad for me. If I was happy about it and ok with it, then why should you feel bad for me? I don't feel bad. I had a couple New Years offers, and I opted to not partake; it's ok. I think many people are afraid to be by themselves paralleling being by yourself to being lonely. I'm far from lonely right now...and being alone doesn't mean being lonely. I've felt lonely. I've felt alone. I've felt lonely and alone. However, I was not that. Here was my New Years Eve:
I went to the movie theatre to see "Blue Valentine" because I love Michelle Williams. Unfortunately, it was sold out. I saw Rabbithole instead. Great movie, pretty depressing, but excellent performances by the cast. Speaking of lonely, that's what this movie was about...sort of dealing with the loneliness while being in a relationship because of a grievance from the past. I then went home and got a fully loaded pizza from Papa Johns plus their breadsticks. Best decision. For some reason, pineapple on a pizza makes the world so much better. Rob, the roomie, was home, so we chilled and watched tv and caught up for a while. His New Year's plans were beginning to fall through. Julie had called me earlier and told me to come out to Anth's sister's place; I obliged after a while. Throughout the course of the evening my plans fell through, and Rob's friend ended up calling him to go out. I opted to not go to the bar they were going to. I've done the whole pay $100 for a fun New Year's night (and it probably one of my favorite New Years in recent years), but I wasn't about that. So, they left...and shortly came back...and kidnapped me. They took me to the bar with no cover (ahem. I don't pay cover for bars). So, I went. We had a great time...and then it got busier...and busier...and crowded...and busier...You now could not stand without people pushing to get by. Before I could get upset and turn my evening into a bad night, I decided to leave; still in a great mood and having a fun time dancing and meeting people. I left the bar at 11:30 and walked home (it was three blocks away). I was laughing; I was smiling; I was enjoying my evening. I got home, threw on Dick Clark's special (see! you have to watch it), grabbed an apple to bring in the new year with good health, and some loose change for good finances as well. I watched the ball drop, smiled, laughed, got a few phone calls and text messages, and then headed to bed. It was a beautiful, stress free, enjoyable evening. I did everything I wanted to do, and brought in the new year with good energy. Could you ask for anything better? I may have been physically alone, but I was definitely far from being alone. People all over the country were thinking of me and wishing me the best, as I was doing the exact same for them...whether their new year began at 9pm, 10pm, or 11pm my time. Good energy, positive thoughts, and lots of love is the way to start things off. I'm glad I brought in 2011 with a smile and laughs; it'll be a good year.
On another note, similarly related...I worked at Starbucks yesterday. Here, I was able to watch the walk of shame parade throughout the course of the day. Watching these people come in to order their quad espresso drinks or whatever to cure their hangovers, made me so happy I celebrated the way I did, and felt good the next day. Sunglasses on to hide the bags under the eyes or the bloodshot eyes, slow moving and the inability to fully comprehend what's going on, noises being too loud...some of the issues being had. My co-workers and I? We spent the day having an amazing time. We laughed, we sang, we danced, we joked, we worked hard, we enjoyed each others' company...and felt good.
It's amazing when you look back at things and how they unfold. The reason I could not find a job before was because I was meant to end up at the Starbucks. My new found friends aka co-workers are more than I could have ever asked for. Going into Starbucks is not just a job; it's become a fun environment. I enjoy going in and being with people I like and that like me. Yes, it's a busy place to work and there's a lot of work that it entails, but working with energized and motivated people makes it such a great place to go to. Obviously, I don't plan on being here forever, but as a "survival" job for the meantime? I couldn't have asked for anything better. I definitely have some amazing people watching over me who know what they're doing, whether I believe it or not at times. They know what's right...just need to keep the faith.
And now, my coffee cup is drained...I guess that means time to get ready for the day. I wish you all the best in 2011. Send love, and you will receive it.
No comments:
Post a Comment