It's hard to believe that my first LA Opening Night has already come and gone...but what a great opening it was. The house was packed with an eager and excited audience. Throughout the play, you could feel how engaged the audience was - their silence, their laughter, their undivided attention. It was like a mutual hunger between audience and actor that was now being fed. Then, as quickly as it started, the show came to an end, with loud applause and cheers.
After the show, people came up to me to tell me I did really great work, etc. What was different about this than what has happened before after shows, is that the audience members sought me out. Yes, they weaved through the crowd of theatre goers, to come up to me and tell me just how much they enjoyed performance. Then, recounting memorable moments for them and moments that made them laugh. I was actually thanked by one person for bringing those characters to life on stage. Someone else told me that the energy I brought to the stage made it a joy to watch and that my stage presence was amazing. I'm not even going to pretend to lie, I was blown away by the audience response to my performance. I knew everyone would love the show because it's amazing, but I've never made this kind of an impact before. It's a really, truly great feeling - especially because this was the most challenging show I've been in (as stated before), and I am most proud of the work I've put into it. It was an excellent opening night, and I am thrilled and excited to see what the next 5 shows bring.
It's really amazing how you may feel one way about a certain thing about yourself, but everyone else feels another. It took me a long time to actually get comfortable with being an actor. I knew that I had the talent. I knew that I had the drive. However, I did not have the most important key - confidence. If an actor does not have confidence in himself, then he will not succeed to his fullest potential. His doubts will shine through through his conversations, his auditions, his acting; it will be like a beacon of light saying "believe in me, but I don't really believe in myself." It doesn't work that way. Living in New York, studying at Studio 5, being in the shows that I was in there, establishing myself as an individual, have all helped me gain confidence in myself, my acting, my abilities, and my life, in general. Since that has happened, I don't have the same reactions I used to have in college after shows by some people - the "congratulations" in a mock smile, or the avoidance of eye contact so as not to have to tell you the truth. I wish I could go back and instill the old me with what I have now...but, it's all a learning experience, right? You're supposed to grow. You're supposed to deal with the bad to get to the good. I mean, if I wasn't meant to be doing this craft, then I wouldn't be consistently moving forward with it. That alone should say something.
Yesterday was the perfect lazy day...the perfect day to have a bbq and a beer on a patio with some friends...I worked, though, so that didn't happen. However, I did enjoy the sun at the beginning of the day. Today, I don't work until this evening, so after this blog entry, I'll be showering and then heading down to the beach for the day. Why not? It's supposed to be 79 and sunny. 79 and sunny in January? Yes, please. For everyone that thought that California would not be right for me...you could not have been more wrong in so many ways. I have only been here for two and a half months, and I already feel like I'm not new. Yes, there are a lot of things I still don't know, but I feel like I fit in here so much faster and so much easier that New York. I made my way there, yes, by scratching and clawing every step of the way. I'm not saying I'm not doing that here either, but it's as if I am swimming downstream with the current...I'm in the right place doing what I am supposed to be doing working at the place I'm supposed to be working at....all at the right time. It's a beautiful thing when you listen to your instincts and then you feel at one and at home with the results.
No comments:
Post a Comment