Cheering. Joy. Happiness. Smiles all around. Hugging. Kissing. Celebrating. This was my eye witness experience today at Venice Beach. The lingering smell that was in the air? Oh, that would be the smell of marijuana. I never knew how big of a holiday, if that is what it is, that "420" was. If people could be that happy all the time, the world would be such a better place. It was as if everyone was just genuinely happy to be alive and everyone loved everyone. Now, I've never touched the stuff in my life, nor do I have a desire to, but today's events proved to definitely make our day at the beach an interesting and fun one.
It's amazing how the warmth of the sun can make you feel like a different human being. The winds that touch your face give you a feeling of hope and love. The salty scent washed in from the ocean gives you that feeling of comfort. The sounds of the waves caressing the sandy shores or crashing against the rocky barriers that give you that sense of calm and freedom. The sensation you feel at the close of the day after spending hours in the wake of all of these sensory experiences. Today was exactly what I needed. Isn't it interesting how sometimes you are led to situations that you need that you don't even necessarily know you need? I needed a day with no stress, no worries, no feelings of foreboding, and that is what I got. I got a day with nature and a best friend. What more could you ask for? It's an amazing feeling to have a friend that you can either spill your guts to, or walk or sit in silence, but in essence, enjoy each others' company. It's a rarity, and I consider myself blessed to have a few of these amazing souls in my life.
Impulse. I'm not an impulsive person. Rephrase: I never used to be an impulsive person. I would never just go out on a whim and do something. I never went to the movies without checking the listings first. I would never just buy something on the spot because I liked it. Is it really impulse, though, or is it listening to your heart? to your soul? I'm not quite sure I believe so much in the word impulsive anymore, as I do listening to your heart. Impulse is maybe led by your heart and your soul and the reason you follow these instincts is because you're in tune to it? Not sure. Point is: I bought a bracelet from one of the vendors on the boulevard today. Out of the many, many, many stands, I was drawn to this particular one...actually, Melissa and I both. My eyes went directly to the bracelet. I picked it up. Put it on. And bought it. Instantly. We were at the table for maybe 30 seconds. That generally is not like me. However, who is me? My thoughts? My mind? The meanings behind the beads and the colors represent so many aspects of me...the fact that they have meanings is a huge thing for me, too. I love having things around me with meaning and stories. That is why I love my paintings and pottery pieces in my room so much - they were all created or given to me by people I love. The pictures I have up - all represent some beauty in my life and an exciting excerpt from my journey. My kitchen table - owned by the talented Myrna Dell from the 40's. Everything was created, used, loved, and has a life and a story from the moment it was created in someone's mind eye until it was physically visible to the naked eye. I appreciate the life of each item.
Take life in and allow yourself to be in another time and place once in a while...you'll feel refreshed and alive.


No comments:
Post a Comment