How often do we, as people, go through the motions of everyday? How often do we just complain about the not-so-important, or the things in life that just don't "go our way."? I'm guilty. Shoot. I'm guilty of it as of a few hours ago. We get so wrapped up in our everyday, and sometimes monotonous, lives that we forget about what really is important in life...living. We need to remember to not just set the alarm, show up to work on time, and do the same thing we do every other day, but to really wake up, to do our job, and to do take in everything we do throughout the day. How often to we listen to the breeze in the trees? Or smell the flowers that sit outside our apartment building or house? Or really feel the warmth a smile generates? Better yet, how often do you say "How are you?" and really actually mean it? We live in a world where are so concerned with so many facets of life that we forget to take in the simplistic ones or the ones we may take for granted.
I found out today that I basically don't have a Christmas because I work the entire day (11-7:30) and then open the following the day (5:30-1:45). I'm sure you are probably having the same "wtf" face as I had when I saw the schedule, but alas, I made the best of it. Yes, Christmas is a specific day; every year it falls on December 25. We all know this. I don't know about you, but Christmas for me is kind of a big deal. It has nothing to do with the presents. It has nothing to do with the amazing food. It has everything to do with the people I spend it with. I love my family, my second families, and my friends. They mean the world to me. Them being in my life is the greatest gift. Christmas always been a day of memories, of waking up at 6am to open gifts, of eating Grandma's poppyseed roll first thing in the morning, playing games with cousins, spending time with those you only get to see maybe once a year, of enjoying the people you love's presence. Throughout the years, my journey has taken me all over the country...and world, actually. However, those that are still in my life are here for a reason, and we need to recognize that. We need to remember that those people are there for a reason. The essence of Christmas shouldn't be just one day a year, but everyday. Looking at my past year, I've had a few Christmases.
Getting coffee with my second family in New York, or grabbing drinks, brings back amazing memories. Luckily, I was able to do this a couple times this year. These people made my time in NYC the best ever, and they have become forever friends. I visited Michigan three times this summer for three different people's weddings. Throughout each, I was re-acclimated with different portions of my life. I felt honored to be a part of my cousin Victoria's wedding; she has been such a huge aspect of my life since childhood and has always remained a good friend. I got to be with family for an entire weekend of debauchery and good times. I came home for Emily's wedding. I got to spend time with my first friends outside of Southeastern Detroit. They helped shape me into the person I am today and taught me what it means to love and have make yourself a family. I got to do a reading at Amy's wedding in late August. Some friendships from high school will never fade; this is one of them. It was an honor to read at her wedding. Although we don't talk everyday, she will always be one of those people I have in my life that I know I can count on whenever for whatever. Throughout all of these visits, new memories were formed, vacations were made, and pictures were taken. They were my Christmas. Why? Because I got to be with those I love, get myself presents, and eat amazing food. I just had my first LA Christmas yesterday with Lo, Matt, and Mattie. We made a homemade taco feast complete with chicken tacos, queso dip, and guacamole, as well as gift exchanges and opening stockings. It was the perfect Christmas away from home with my second family.
It's the simple things in life. We need to remember to love. To remember to take in the positive that life gives us, and learn from the negative. To allow ourselves to be greater than we ever thought could be. To dream big. To make those dreams come true. To try something new and allow it to come to fruition. We need to say yes more. We need to breathe...
I watched this movie this evening entitled "Listen to your Heart." I recommend it wholeheartedly. It was one of the most brilliant movies I've seen. It's an independent film about a man falling in love with a woman who cannot hear, and losing the one you love. It reminds you about what is important in life and what we all seem to take for granted all too often. Please watch. I guarantee you will not be disappointed, but rather enlightened. It's on netflix.
This Christmas/holiday season, remember to love. Remember to appreciate those around you and let them know you love them. Take everything in, from the sight of the snow on the ground to the sound of the breeze in the trees. Use your senses to heighten your sense of life and your sense of living.
Merry Christmas to you. Much Love. Always.
No comments:
Post a Comment