Sunday, December 12, 2010

Take 5




Heed your own advice...It is so easy to dish out advice to your friends, your family, and even yourself...yet, how often do you actually take your own advice? As you are now wracking your brain for these instances, I'm just going to go ahead and say that you, on many occasions, do not take your own advice. I am at fault here, as well. However, once you realize it and confront the issue, make the change and see if your amazing advice to others works for yourself. This particular topic came to my mind because I have been working on the script for the play I am doing. In this play, I take on two supporting roles, as well as some minor ones. Tonight, I was working out these two characters and trying to figure out who they were, etc. I began getting frustrated because what I was "thinking" of was not working. What I should have realized was that "thinking" was my problem. Just as I say that we should all strive to just live in the moment and be ourselves, I need to take this advice and put it to my character work. By just allowing the character to "be," he will develop. From there, you can make new discoveries, figure out what makes them tick. So, once I stopped "thinking" and began "being," the characters were born and I became more productive, and I progressed with my work. Listen to yourself once in a while...you might have some really great advice.

It is so crazy how literally one week ago today I was stressed about getting a job. Currently, I am in a position where I have to turn down three different offers from three different companies that I have interviewed with. It is amazing and insane how things work out in life. One cannot even begin to try and figure it out...because you can't. And that's ok.

I had my first day of training today at Starbucks. Everyone was extremely nice there. The manager is extremely caring and passionate about his work as well as his employees. That kind of ethic shows because it is one of the busiest and most successful Starbucks in LA. That being said, I'm sure you can understand my slight feelings of overwhelming. Not only am I training to work at a huge corporate company, I am also walking into a line out the door and almost any given moment of the day. I know it will be fine; it's just those new job jitters. Remember what those feel like? I do...I usually get them every year...because I'm generally starting a new job every year. Oh, my life. Anyway, everything will be fine and wonderful and amazing once I get the hang of things; it's just the anxiety that settles in the meantime that can kind of take effect. One day at a time. One moment at a time. What's also great is that the manager said that I would be scheduled for night shifts mostly, which is awesome because it a. won't conflict with the exercising seniors and b. it (shouldn't) conflict with auditions. Funny how things have a way of working out, right?

Do you have a place that you like to go to where you can just sit, be alone, think, and breathe? The one place that relaxes you. The place where you can breathe in fresh air, and exhale out all of life's problems? all of your stresses? all of your worries? I've had that place everywhere I've lived. In Michigan, it was at a certain point on the boardwalk at the Grosse Pointe Woods Lakefront Park where I overlooked Lake St. Clair. In New York, I had two places: 1. Bryant Park - here my creativity flowed, whether I was writing, reading, going over a script; this place worked. 2. My bench in Battery Park overlooking the Hudson River. I would arrive to work a half an hour to an hour early most days, coffee in hand, and sit down on my bench. Here, I would just breathe. Let the calming wake mesmerize my soul and take me to a state of relaxation and ease. It was the most beautiful way to start my day. In California? Santa Monica beach is only 25 minutes away. I know which parking structure I will most likely find a spot - because it is off the beaten path. The beach is so big, I can find my own space and sit, or I can walk across the sand while my feet are being gently washed with the slow and steady incoming tide. Looking out across the vast and endless ocean, the sun's rays heating you from billions of miles away; all your worries and stresses are gone. Breathe in the fresh and salty air, and exhale out all of your problems. I spent my afternoon at the beach today. I can surely tell you it was refreshing, it was needed, and a sense of calm was re-instilled within me. I could not be happier to have the sands and the ocean so close to me.

On that note, I don't know how I'm going to fare once I get back to Michigan on the 23rd for Christmas, what with all of the freezing temperatures, ice, and snow. Mom, Dad - my winter jacket is hanging in the closet in the basement; please bring this to the airport when you pick me up. :) I am so excited to see my family and my friends. I was looking through some of the pictures I have on my computer from past Christmases (not many pics, shockingly), and all of them carry with them some truly fun memories. I'll share a few pictures with you. Please feel free to reminisce, smile, and be reminded that you are loved.
JP, Steve, and myself spreading holiday cheer.

As Bob Cratchitt in "A Christmas Carol" at the Bonstelle Theatre

My family last Christmas

And who could forget "Black Nativity" at the Bonstelle Theatre? Here I am as a Magi.


My first Christmas season in New York City, Val and I walked up and down Fifth Ave. and took in the Christmas spirit that NYC had to offer.

Last Christmas at Shores Inn. Old friends + new friends + Christmas cheer...and of course, some sassiness has to be thrown in.

I am proud to say that I have some of the most supportive and best friends in the world. Sean, Em, Jamie, and Melissa all made the trek over to the D to see me in Black Nativity.


My second Christmas season in New York City. Martha, Whitney, Marnie, and I checked out Rockefeller, walked up Fifth Ave., and shared some dinner and wine with amazing company.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment