Wednesday, December 8, 2010

90210

Have you ever wanted to be in a place where you are constantly showered with praise and compliments? A place where you are flirted with, winked at, and told how handsome or beautiful you are? What if I told you that this place existed...and that I have been there. Would you believe me? You should - I speak the truth...and I was there again today. The place? Well, today it was the Sunrise Assisted Living Facility of Beverly Hills. (Still want to go to this place of validation?) Every one of the 85-100 year old women that walked by the front desk where I was sitting, stopped to ask the concierge who I was, and then began fueling my nonexistent ego with their compliments on my appearance and smile. The meandering whispers of "Oh, if I was younger" and "Oh boy" began to wander over to my ears from the hallway. I speak no lies. Mind you, I'm used to this by now after working with seniors in New York for about a year and a half. It was just funny to be back in this scenario. So, there you have it. If you're ever feeling down about the way you look, go to a senior home, smile, and be warm. I guarantee you'll get some type of compliment in return. A note of caution: if you're looking for this sort of validation and do in fact travel to a senior home, avoid the woman who looks like she may bite you if you talk to her. Most likely, she will. :)

I am a pretty free spirit. As you know, I am very in tune to myself and my body, or try to be at least. Well, I know that my body does not agree with running; it reflects its dislike for this sport by filling myself with all sorts of ailments afterward so that I won't do it again. So, generally I don't go for runs. However, last night/this morning I had too much energy in me to not go for a run. So, I did. It was amazing. The sky was this gorgeous blue, clear of any signs of clouds, the sun's rays hitting my arms and face as I ran. The 72 degree weather warming up my soul. That was this morning. It is now evening. My left knee began throbbing about 3 hours ago, my lower back began hurting an hour ago, My upper back just began hurting, and I have a headache. (Yes, for some reason I get headaches when I run.) I know that tomorrow, the pain in my back will increase...because this happens every time. I knew going into this run that I would be reaping the after effects. So, the big question is: do I wish I could take back the run? HECK NO. Yes, I should have listened to my body, however, I actually was still listening to it. It was asking me to go for that run. It was begging me to go for that run. Yes, I may be physically hurting, but spiritually, I feel rejuvenated. What more could you ask for? Sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Everyday, I am sort of reminded that Christmas is just around the corner. I am ridiculously excited that I will be able to spend the holiday with my family. Besides that, I have a few other favorite parts of the holiday season. 1. I love the Starbucks Holiday cups. Why? Why not is more like it?! It's one of those times of year that I look forward to most (besides Pumpkin Spice Latte time...but that's a whole other blog entry just waiting to be written); when the holiday cups come out. It brings joy to my life and I am instantly in the holiday spirit. 2. Christmas music. I LOVE Christmas music. There are a few songs I absolutely despise of course, but otherwise, I love me some yuletide cheer. It makes me feel warm inside. It reminds me of the past - of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, of decorating the tree, making Christmas cookies, hanging the stockings on the fireplace, the anticipation of Christmas morning, the sea of wrapping paper covering the carpet on the 25th, Christmas mass, being with the family. However, it also brings me to the present. There is nothing more comforting in December than wrapping in a blanket with the Christmas tree lit and a mug of hot chocolate, tea, or coffee, while Christmas music plays in the background. Favorite songs? 1. O Holy Night 2. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas 3. Baby, It's Cold Outside 4. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire). What's your favorite Christmas memory or Christmas song?

On that note, I'll leave you. I suggest you grab that blanket, that Christmas music, that mug of something good, and just relax while looking at the Christmas tree. It's a beautiful thing. It really, truly is.



p.s. New opportunities may have arisen...I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment