I am a human being. I have great qualities about myself, but I also have faults; we all do. I breathe. I love. I feel. I hurt. I work extremely hard...all the time, no matter what the task. I take on challenges so as to better my quality of life, overcome obstacles, learn, fail, win, lose, and ultimately become a better individual. I have a drive and a passion within me that responds with yes; "I can't" is not a part of my vocabulary. I try to brighten peoples' days, whether a friend or a stranger, by smiling, helping him or her with their groceries, or shooting a friendly "hello" their way. My goal in life is to be at a point where I can use my image, my likeness, my words, to better humankind. To provide literacy programs to those who do not have the resources. To start a homeless persons shelter that not only provides a roof and food, but also the tools to help these people get back on their feet, to get back into the work force, to provide the proper nutrition and medications that may be needed, to get a second chance. To provide new big brother/big sister programs within communities to aid in the development of kids and teens and for someone for them to look up to, a friend to them if they are a loner. To figure out a way to prevent teen suicide and show that things do get better no matter what may be bothering them at the time whether lack of friends, sexual orientation, rape, bullying, or whatever the case. To improve programs, housing, and care for senior citizens across the nation. They are people, too, and need just as much attention and love. My goal in life is to become a successful, hard working, life altering artist that ends up changing the world.
So why is it, then, that someone (that I should respect) would not only yell at me condescendingly, but also call me a "snotty a** hole."? Yes, I have my moments in which I am not exuding my full potential or personality 100% of the time, but what could I possibly do to someone to bring them to such a state of aggravation that they must stoop to such a low level so as to call me names and attempt to bring me down? This, my friends, is bullying. Whether you are in elementary school, high school, or in the work force - it's all the same, isn't it? The whole point of bullying is to bring someone else down. You succeed when you see that person shrink, right? You feel that instant gratification when you see the tears well up in their eyes, right? And right at about the point where they're at their smallest, you want to kick them until they can't move. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't - figuratively and literally. Nothing could possibly be more exhilarating than this feeling, right?! Wrong. This is what is wrong with society today. People make up their own rules as to what is right and wrong. It is NEVER ok to talk to someone else as if they do not exist, as if they are unimportant, as if the world would be better without them. That they are a complete idiot. Never. Because that isn't true. What this person that called me names today doesn't know is how many lives I have already changed at only 26. That I have made people's dreams come true - even when they thought it impossible because they were 96 years old. I had a 101 year old woman tell me I've changed her life, that she learned so much from me, and she is better because I was in it. I've had students of mine tell me that I helped them get through high school because they knew they had someone rooting for them. I had a woman tell me just today that she was having the worst day, but when she walked in and I greeted her so nicely with my "huge smile," I turned her day around. You see, it really is the little things. It's being there when someone needs you. It's really listening, I mean, really listening when someone needs a friend to talk to. It's providing those words of encouragement to someone that is just about to give up. It's knowing that no matter what happens, you will always listen and lead with your heart.
So where does bullying fit in with this? Where does name calling fit in with this? Where does talking to someone in a condescending manner fit in with this? They don't. And they never will. Instead of being angry or upset with these people, we need to figure what they may need. Instead of dealing with their inner conflicts in a healthy manner, they are taking it out on others. That's not ok. We, as a human population, need to work together to spread love not hate, equality not segregation, and friendship instead of a cold shoulder.
So the next time you see someone, flash a smile. You never know the world of a difference you may be making in their day, or even their life.
We are human beings. We have great qualities about ourselves, but we also
have faults. We breathe. We love. We feel. We hurt...
No comments:
Post a Comment